Who are the BHI?
The British Horological Institute was founded in 1858, in an attempt to combat the large quantity of clocks and watches flooding into the country from abroad, and to raise the standards of British horology. The Institute set the first examinations in technical horology. Most of the famous names in horology have been associated with the Institute, Lord Grimthorpe, the designer of 'Big Ben', was president for 35 years, and the post has been occupied by many Astronomers Royal.
The British Horological Institute moved to their present premises at Upton Hall near Newark Nottinghamshire in 1972. It is run by a Council of members with a small permanent staff. Education forms a major part of the Institutes activities, having close links with colleges and training establishments offering Horological training and is the awarding body for examinations in Technical Horology held both in the UK and overseas.
From the Clock-owning public’s point of view, of crucial importance is the Code of Practice, which every member must undertake to follow. The Code of Practice requires a fair and honest transaction carried out with professional integrity.
Upton Hall houses one of the largest horological collections in the UK. Group visits can be organized by prior arrangement. The Library contains nearly 5000 volumes in a variety of languages. The Horological Journal is the magazine of the Institute. It claims to be the oldest British technical journal, having been published without a break since 1858.